Friday, February 26, 2010

Ranger India Pale Ale - New Belgium Brewing

“I know you don't smoke weed, I know this; but I'm gonna get you high today, 'cause it's Friday; you ain't got no job... and you ain't got shit to do.”


Bonus points to anyone who can tell me what this awesome quote from the movie Friday has to do with this week’s review. So with that I bring you week 7 and

Ranger India Pale Ale (IPA) by New Belgium Brewing

First let me say like I’ve said here before I’m not a fan of IPAs but figured I needed to at least review one. Now, New Belgium Brewery is one of the best in the craft beer market so I expected a very good quality beer.

The initial sniff lets you know immediately that you’ll be drinking a hoppy beer. I know, that’s kind of redundant, IPAs are brewed that way. You see, back when the British occupied India, British beer would get stale by the time it reach the soldiers stationed in India. Hops being the natural preservative they are (which is why they were initially used in beer) brewers decided to add massive quantities so the beer would stay fresh until its final destination in India, hence the name India Pale Ale. Ok, back to this particular IPA, it poured a very thin head but did manage to stay for the duration of the review. It has a nice golden translucent pour and if you use the New Belgium tulip glass with the bicycle etched in the bottom, you get a nice display of continuous bubbles floating to the top. The first taste gives you a good kick of hops buts gets surprisingly smoother as you continue to drink it.

Now with not being a fan of IPAs, I could probably only drink one maybe two of these every few months, but that is better than some IPAs which I can barely finish. This is as expected, a quality beer from a quality brewery, a hoppy beer in a hoppy style. So if you are the fan of IPAs, this is a good grab but if you are not a fan of hops, stay away from this and most IPAs. Have a good week beer freinds and lets all try something new.



FourBoysBrewPub.

No comments:

Post a Comment