Friday, March 5, 2010

Ellie's Brown Ale

OK, so this was a sad week for me, while I was out of town, my love died. No, not my wife or kids, my “BEER FRIDGE”, sorry Tricie, but you know how it is. I’m still not sure there isn’t a conspiracy going on in the house but we will see who has the last laugh. Also, no one, not one single person even attempted to guess last week’s bonus. So, am I to gather A.) No one reads my ramblings or B.) I’m a bigger beer geek than the rest of you? OK, so here it is. The movie “Friday” is all about getting high, or weed, marijuana. An IPA is loaded to the hills with hops and ….. hops are a distant cousin to marijuana. Ok, you can say it; I’m a geek in more ways than one.


Now on to the real reason we all have stopped by:

Ellie’s Brown Ale by Avery Brewing Co. out of Boulder, ColoRADo. (Is me or have people all of a sudden started to emphasize the RAD in Colorado)?

Why is it that Colorado has so many craft breweries? Makes me think I ought to move there but then I would miss my UGA football, can’t have that now can we.

This beer pours a nice deep brown almost black with a thin cream colored head that doesn’t even stay around long enough for the first taste, although it does leave some nice lacing on the glass. The smell is a mixture of hops and burnt oats, burnt being good and not like grandma’s toast. Kind of reminds you of the neighbor who is always burning his leaves at the end of fall. All seems right in the world every time I get that smell.

The first taste hits you with a slight bitterness followed by a hint of sweetness then more bitterness. My guess is the initial bitterness/sweetness mixture is from the malts and the second stage of bitterness being from the hops making a very interesting mixture that is very easy to drink. I swear I am going to review a bad beer, the law of averages says I have to right; I just have not found it yet. And trust me, they exist, I have had them before, just not since I started this project.

The picture on the label is of a chocolate lab, which I think is fitting, who doesn’t love a chocolate lab. I think most moderate to serious beer lovers will like this too, nothing that will jump out at ya but complex enough to remind you this ain’t a St. Louis brew, if you know what I mean bud.

I know you don’t drink, I know this, but I’m gonna give you a good beer. Cause it’s Friday, you been working a looong week, and you ain’t got shit to do! So relax and enjoy my beer friend.



FourBoysBrewPub.

No comments:

Post a Comment