Friday, March 12, 2010

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale!

What’s up PUNK!


That’s right, I said it, whatcha gonna do about it. Nah, just kidding, that’s this week’s brew.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

I know it may seem a little out of season to be doing a pumpkin infused ale but I’m one that loves when a brewer gets creative and adds all sorts of stuff to their beer. I guess that’s the brewer in me coming out. So, I had to pick this up when I saw it the other day when I was making me a mixer six pack. Also had to squeeze it in before it got to warm to be drinking this type of beer.

Now, I was a little disappointed in the lack of head it produced as I poured it and that may be due to the age, not real sure if it is out of date or not. The color though was a beautiful rich orange-brown that let you know you were going to be drinking beer full of flavor. The all important first scent gives you a small amount of nutmeg followed ever so slightly with pumpkin. The first taste gives a bit of the allspice followed by the pumpkin. Now, I can usually pick up on cinnamon any time it is used in anything but even though the label says it’s in there I don’t get it. This beer does an excellent job of hiding the high alcohol content (7%) with all the flavors mixed in. The only way you know it is high in alcohol is the warming sensation you get as it makes its way to your belly.

I will definitely look for this again this fall so I can enjoy it sitting by the fire pit in the back yard or the camp site. If you’re like me and not scared of a lot of spices and additives in your beer, give this one a shot. If you’re a hophead this may not be beer for you as there isn’t a real noticeable amount in here. Either way this is a good beer but that is what you would expect from Dogfish Head. I have another one of their beers that I will be reviewing in the near future, India Brown Ale. This is probably my favorite Dogfish Head beer; I’ll leave the details for later. So long PUNK! See ya next week beer friend.

P.S. If you can’t wait till next week, check out a blog I found this week, 365 days… 365 beers. That’s actually what I wanted to do with this blog but the thought of a different beer everyday for a year scared me, writing about it actually, the drinking would have been no problem.

FourBoysBrewPub

No comments:

Post a Comment